Interested in joining a dedicated team of direct support professionals?
Employment: Support Worker I
Forward House regularly hires for Direct Support Professional positions including regularly scheduled part-time and casual hours. Applicants should note that shifts may include weekends and holidays as well as Monday to Friday. Positions may include afternoons, days, sleepovers and awake nights. Employees may work 8-44 hours per week as per their availability.
Forward House is committed to developing inclusive, barrier free selection and appointment processes and work environments. If contacted in relation to this process, please advise the organization’s representative of your need for accommodation measures which must be taken to enable you to be assessed in a fair and equitable manner.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Supporting individuals to enrich their own quality of life in a manner that is most empowering and least restrictive
- Providing health supports and monitoring including administration of medications
- Providing individuals with counselling and behavioural supports
- Assisting individuals in daily living skills (i.e. menu planning, meal preparation, budgeting skills, personal hygiene, etc.)
- Creating opportunities that will assist individuals to develop and maintain meaningful relationships
- Providing supports re. recreation, leisure, volunteerism and employment.
- Respecting the worth, rights, privileges and privacy of each individual
- Ensuring a safe and healthy environment for both staff and individuals in their home and in the community
Qualifications and Skills
- Some work or other experience in the field of developmental disabilities preferred.
- Developmental Support Worker diploma OR training (ie. students); or
- A related university degree or college diploma (Bachelor’s, CYW, SSW, nursing) is preferred
- Good oral and written communication skills
- Ability to work independently and to problem solve
- Current vulnerable sector check
- Crisis Prevention, First Aid/CPR and/or a willingness to participate in further training
- Ability to speak French, Arabic or American Sign Language may be an asset
- Competitive wages, 5% salary in lieu of benefits, 5% vacation pay, Employee Assistance Program
- Wage increase and pension plan available after years of service
- Submit your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
Employment: External Postings
Anyone interested in joining our team should check here on a regular basis to see what other exciting possibilities can not be filled within our current organization.
Forward House strives to build diverse teams to provide the best quality of supports. Many of our team members are Developmental Services Workers but others come from related Human or Social Services fields. To learn more about the Developmental Service Program, Developmental Services (Fast Track or Accelerated) and the Developmental Services Apprenticeship program, check out Fanshawe College. Forward House partners with Fanshawe College to provide learning and development opportunities for D.S.W. students on placement.